View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles8008 View Post
Sure, DarkScribe, the current Pearl display is functional, but so are the displays on the iPad 1, and the archaic Sony PRS 500. Technological advances are often not based on necessities.

I have no problems reading the text on older E Ink displays, but if I could have a choice between the Pearl display with 16 shades of grey, and the 505 display with 6, I would choose the device with clearer, sharper, more paper-like contrast every time. Technology is all about progress, and E Ink reader displays have made none. The focus of E Ink should be on making displays with whiter backgrounds, higher pixel density, and more shades of grey if they want to compete with tablet popularity. E Ink displays have the ability to look outstanding, rather than satisfactory.

Also, if eReader companies are going to upgrade their devices, wouldn't common sense dictate that the screen resolution should update as well? Should we just be "satisfied" with our devices, or should they continue to improve, regardless of need? The iPad 3 didn't need to feature a retina display, but I can't believe you would think it unnecessary after viewing text on it.

And I would disagree that "no one is complaining about it," many tech bloggers and eReader enthusiasts have been griping about lack of display advancement. That's why companies like Onyx Boox are developing HD readers like the i62 HD in hopes that they can generate business from readers who are dissatisfied with the status quo.

Is it disingenuous to expect an upgrade after 2.5 years? You must not be very familiar with technology standards.
Once again, the TIME since the last release of technology has nothing to do with the necessity for a new "upgrade". Many areas of technology have plateaued, they don't need constant upgrades. How often do TV or Monitor screens get upgraded? Since the end of the nineties when Plasma replaced CRT there have only been a handful. Quartz watches are electronic, yet it has been decades since a significant change in technology. There will be changes in eReaders, but most will not be to the eInk technology, it will be to the devices themselves. Eventually there will be new developments in eInk screens, several are in the pipeline, but none are really significant enough for many people - me for instance - to bother with upgrading.

Yes I think that your attitude is disingenuous. Upgrading just because you feel that it is time for something new is disingenuous, as is suggesting that dedicated eReaders are in a "race" with tablets. They are two entirely different devices, designed for different purposes. Like many people I own a tablet - several - and a dedicated eReader. I don't browse, write or play games on an eReader and I don't read on a tablet. I know that some do, but most people who buy dedicated eReaders don't go back to reading on a tablet.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote