View Single Post
Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 PM   #113
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
Hi,

I tried to download the pictures into my Kindle - looks pretty good.

For motion images, I am thinking it would be better to randomize the dither table from frame to frame. That way, the places that are more likely to be black will shift form frame to frame and make a more continuous image.

Can you take your code and make it play some video or motion JPEG?

Thanks,
James
Rather than "randomizing", you could "shuffle" the order of the existing values. That is called temporal dithering, and it looks HORRIBLE on the kindle, besides consuming a lot of extra battery. The extra pixel changes cause the eink display drivers to fall back into deferred mode, which is not nice for animation. Besides the extra pixel changes, there is other overhead. I was using random dither originally, with a different random seed value for each frame. Although it looked great (but "sparkly") for fine gray details on objects that were not moving, moving objects left a trail of ghost images that oscillated between too dark and too light, and took about 2 seconds to fade (an artifact of the display drivers). There were other ugly artifacts trailing sharp corners on moving objects as well.

Ordered dithers are MUCH better for animation on low power devices like this.

I plan to port VLC, using the "geekmaster formula 42" dither.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-20-2012 at 12:58 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote