View Single Post
Old 06-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by heghedush View Post
Hello everyone,

I am looking at getting an e-reader for my travels and camping as the weight and bulk of my ipad 2 are a problem. What would you advise me to get, please?

The 2 most important things to me are battery life and the ability to put my own books in it.

Because I will be using it mostly outdoors I need one that comes with a light. From my understanding the Kindle Paperwhite has this and also a 2 month battery life? But what I am not sure of is 2 months with the light on or off? And just how much reading per day exactly?

My budget is ~100 pounds, I wouldn't like to go much higher than that as I will only use the device for reading, that's it. Not interested in any other features such as browser, mp3 etc.

Many thanks
Just about any of the lighted readers available in the UK would be fine. The Kindle Paperwhite and Kobo Aura are both £109 (very little to choose between them) and the older Kobo Glo is £89. All are touch screen readers with built in lights. I'd rule out the Kobo Aura HD (more expensive and bigger screen), and the Kobo Mini (it's not in stock these days).

They will all have roughly similar battery life (the advertised 2 months is usually based on 30 mins reading per day with wi-fi off. So just figure out how much you read per day and roughly work it out from that. More realistically it's 3-5 weeks. Unless you have the light up full, it doesn't have a major impact on the battery life). And you can easily load any of them up with your own books simply by transferring them via USB. Just bear in mind, the Kindle reads Amazon format books (mobi/AZW) and the Kobo's are epub format. Though if you use Calibre and Apprentice Alf, formats/DRM are easily dealt with.

Although people have mentioned other options without a light, for sheer ease of use when travelling & camping, you can't really beat one with a light already included.

Just make sure that whatever one you buy, you get a good case for it at the same time, .
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote