View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Is there any reason you don't want the 505?
Slow speed, mostly, and worse PDF handling (and maybe a bit for lacking a search function).

I won't be reading PDFs and Calibre newspapers and magazines entirely sequentially. I'll be wanting to jump and skip. I fear the slow speed, when I'm mostly perusing pages, will drive me crazy. Calibre's magazines and newspapers, which commonly run 1300 pages, would cost me 10 minutes just for page turns, at its best advertised page-turn speed (probably more like 20 minutes in reality). And the 700 has a stroke-and-hold fast-forward page turning function, that seems to also stop very well (good control, when you let up the pressure, it's exactly at the page you want, not overshooting). The 505's 10-page jump-forward function doesn't seem useful.

Or maybe stick to PC-reading of PDFs and Calibre newspapers, and enjoy the traditional benefits of an e-Reader--clarity and battery life--on the 505? I don't know. I'd prefer to carry one device for e-reading, with good battery life, decent speed, and clarity. It's surprising Sony still doesn't make it, as those seem like basic requirements.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote