View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #65
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
If you're all so concerned about storage then why don't you get a WiFi NAS drive... I run a 3TB personal cloud system - it's all under my control with no worrying about other people controlling my data- and I can access it happily from my computers, Nexus, iPad and Galaxy at home or anywhere I can get WiFi or use my Galaxy as a mobile hotspot... 3TB seems to be enough for the moment and it also acts as a backup for data on other drives.
If you need immediate access to 100GB of data, cloud storage, whether local or not, is not entirely feasible. I've got a 12TB file server but it's not like copying gigabytes worth of data from the file server to my devices over wi-fi isn't time consuming. If I only needed small ebooks or music/video instant streaming, the cloud would be fine. However, for large files that need to be stored locally before you can open them (e.g. 200MB CBR/CBZ files), having large internal storage or an expansion slot is a necessity (at least for me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Since I don't own an iPad and haven't used Mendeley for iOS, I'm not certain why it would be unable to index and search pdf files on an external NAS drive.

I do find it disturbing that one could run out of space so easily for storing thousands of pdf files of academic papers on an iPad, though -- especially if writing papers is one's main reason for owning a tablet. Pdfs tend to take up far less space than multimedia files or even mp3s.
Because iOS doesn't natively provide access to network shares. Mendeley would have to include a Samba client in their iOS app for this to work. This is one reason I'm really interested in Windows 8-based tablets - the inter-operability in a Windows-based network. Sure you could mount Samba shares on Android but it's just not as seamless. As for the PDFs taking less space, it depends on whether it's got a lot of diagrams, images, etc. I've got a lot of 50-150MB PDF files.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 02-19-2013 at 12:31 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote