View Single Post
Old 09-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #32
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Actually it does, according to the standard. Specified whitespace characters are separators only. CR and LF are also whitespace characters. All whitespace should be consolidated back to represent a single break between words. The behaviour you see in your browsers is definitely non-compliant.
I don't think that is strictly correct. The actual standard that your link references specifically and emphatically (it's capitalized) says it MAY be treated that way, not that it must or should.
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Do you see any difference if you place the text inside <p>...</p> ? (Which is how any ebook will present its paragraphs.)
It worked the same in p tags. I actually generated the html in MS Word to see if it did anything special to preserve the spaces, since I knew it did preserve them. Then I stripped out the styles, p tags and additional stuff until I got down to the minimum I used for illustration.

Quote:
Yes, there are options, but few are as easy to achieve as a double-tap on the spacebar.
The presumption is you would just hit the spacebar twice in whatever app you are using. The app would then generate any needed markup to preserve the extra space in HTML, just as I'm sure it does in MS Word when you save as HTML.

So again, my point was: just because an app creates HTML doesn't mean your two spacebar hits won't have a double space effect. It often will.

Last edited by ApK; 09-04-2013 at 01:25 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote