View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Don't you want to support art?

The free ebooks I have from Baen are either books I also have as pbooks, which I'm in the process of replacing, or books I'm not going to buy -- though occasionally they've surprised me, and I've bought into new authors or series. I buy books from Baen because they're available immediately when the book comes out, in a format that I want, and delivered straight to my email. If they become available free later on, great, but I don't feel that I missed anything by buying them. I would have bought them on dead trees if that was the only option available, so why should I have any buyer's remorse for paying less for them and not straining my bookshelves any further?

For instance, I bought the complete Hammer's Slammers series. I have pretty much all of those stories as pbooks or in magazines. I also have some in free ebooks. But I shelled out for that nice three-part set because it's a nice omnibus, in proper order, and now I can get rid of the pbooks. Will some book I want be released for free next year? Probably, but I don't want to wait a year when I can read it now, and not waiting is worth six bucks to me.

The bottom line is that they sell something I want to buy, and since I'm an ethical person, I'll buy it. YMMV.

P.S. Baen doesn't just *let* people read and share the contents of those CDs, they *encourage* it. Maybe there are more honorable people out there than we might think.

Last edited by Worldwalker; 11-30-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: because I seem to have difficulty with plurals
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote