View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Minton View Post
Watch the iTouch 4G and its progress as a reader. That device is the best ereader on the market. Its screen provides remarkable sharpness and clarity. If there were a six-inch version with the same screen resolution, I think the market would alter considerably.

There are apps that allow reading virtually all formats; I haven't found any document that I can't get on this gadget and read.

It is limited in direct sunlight and must be recharged after abut 10 hours use. Its screen is small and many folks need more acreage, however, for the majority of us with reasonably 'normal' eyesight and a pair of ordinary reading glasses -- it is untouchable as a book reader.

I'm gonna combine my iTouch 4G with one of the new Sony 650s and shall have the ability to read just about anything anywhere (special thanks to calibre!)

Joe

PS: Don't wish to start a fight with anyone, just want to give Y'all a heads-up; this gadget and the software available for it are already changing how we read books.
In my personal experience, quality never has been the main hurdle.
Neither the quality of the hardware, nor the content.
Personally, I was absolutely fine with the quality on PocketPCs and started reading eBooks in 2000.
But I'm still surprised, how many of my friends (>>80%), although being gadget freaks in other areas, simply can't accept eBooks or downloadable movies.
Most of the times, I hear the very same answer: "I want to have my book respectively DVD in my shelf. I want to be able to touch it".

Personally, I'm exactly the opposite. I've gladly replaced my ca. 1000 DVDs by iTunes movies (even bought lots of them again, as for $ 9.99 it's hardly worth the effort). But I have to accept, that majority of users simply seems to have another mindset.
Maybe eBooks and other digital content would expand more rapidly, if they'd be considered an addition, not a replacement, for the "classic" media.
For example, in lots of DVDs you find codes for downloading the very same movie for free...

BTW: I don't have iTouch4 but iPhone4. I prefer reading on Dell Streak though. The additional 1.5" are surprisingly convenient.
And I really don't understand, why Apple went for another design for iTouch than for iPhone. I prefer the "flat" one from iPhone. And I hope, Apple will go for the very same design for iPad, iTouch and iPhone...

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-12-2010 at 11:01 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote