View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa View Post
first: updating Calibre from the old version, I lost some books from the library... And in more than one occasion.
As the books disappearing seem to be random, I never know which ones are missing.. Is it a usual problem? Am I the only one with this problem? Is it possible to solve it?
(example: before the upgrade i had 1530 books, after I have 1525.)
Losing books/formats is not normal.

When you say 'books are lost', do you mean the formats (epub, etc), or the metadata (the stuff on calibre's library view)? Your comment indicates it is metadata.

The only way I know of to lose a book from the database is to change the database. Are you using something like dropbox? Are you getting conflicts? Books can get 'lost' of calibre's database (metadata.db) is reverted to an older version.

Have you run a database integrity check? (Preferences -> advanced -> miscellaneous)
Quote:
The second point is a request: in Calibre is possible to order the books by author. Is it possible to upgrade the order adding inside the "author" folder a subfolder with the series?
For example:
Assuming you are talking about calibre's library folders, the answer is no. That hierarchy is owned by calibre, and you cannot change it.

If you want to know why, search the forum. The question has been beaten to death about a zillion times.
Quote:
third: My Calibre doesn't convert from .doc or .docz extensions. and I have lots of books in those formats waiting to be converted.
Open them with word (or whatever), save them as RTF, and convert those.
Quote:
fourth and last :
when I add a book with no metadata, I download the metadata from the internet.
How can I add the metadata to the book, short of reconverting the book in the same format?
This time, by 'book' you must mean the format (epub, mobi, etc)?

Some metadata is automatically added to formats when you send them to your reader (the device) or save them to disk. Covers are one of the items that aren't added, because covers are part of the book and not really metadata.

Metadata is not added to the formats in your library for several reasons. If you really want to add the new stuff, you must reconvert.
Quote:

Thank you very much!!

Chiara
You are welcome. And I wish my (non-existent) Italian was as good as your English.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote