View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #97
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by domani7 View Post
This is a really silly tangent. A lot of languages just will not have the exact translation for terms and perhaps they'll use words that are less technically accurate but more understandable to the people, as opposed to google translate. I'm russian and "podsvietkom" to me just sounds like "with light". Really that's all it means to me. Couldn't tell you how to accurately say "frontlight" or "underlight" or "backlight" or "sidelight" or "overlight" or "abovelight". See how silly this is?
The same for me. We only have "backlight" or "underlight" to describe an ereader with light (I'm not Russian). I kept my mouth shut but it really rubbed me the wrong way when non English newbies were asking for ereader with "backlight" due to 1) not having another word in their language 2) not really being aware of the difference - only to be told from a high horse by English speaking natives that backlit ereaders don't exist. I almost, almost posted to that person talking down to a newbie but then I gave up. Please, not everyone here has English as mother tongue.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote