View Single Post
Old 05-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by estral View Post
Bear with me for a moment.

If Microsoft announced an eReader with the following policies, how would the ePublishing community react?

1. You do not purchase anything, all product is sold under a revokable license.
Microsoft did try to do this with their XP platform. They first rolled out this model to the corporate world then planned on rolling out this license scheme to the consumer market. The corporate world respond by balking at any future upgrades. It was a disaster for Microsoft and they were force to return to their original model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by estral View Post
2. Your reader can be controlled and DISABLED remotely at the discression of the seller
3. Contents can be controlled remotely with features turned on and off at the will of the seller.
Has this been proven? I know there are threads here that make that claim. But there has been no proof that amazon will disable a book already on a user's kindle.

As for your Microsoft question yes "Microsoft Genuine and automatic update"

Note I am not defending Amazon in the least but I believe that blame should be placed where it belongs. ALL of the issues you have listed above are imposed by the publishing companies. THEY require DRM and they also demanded TTS be disabled. Amazon is just complying with their demands. Sure Amazon is not a victim, but they are not the ones to blame directly.
Also issue number one is not exclusive to Amazon it applies to ANY eBook store that has DRM infested books.

Also I'm surprised you left out Amazons practice to disable customers account, which is strictly an Amazon policy.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote