View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #128
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
I think varied use is just the nature of English as a language.
English is not included in the list of languages with some central regulator.
Usage is ultimately the only definition.
We all know about The List, Murray Paul -- and thank you, kind sir, for suggesting I sounded like a prim regulator even as I made fun of my own primness [insert schizophrenia emoticon]* -- but that doesn't mean usage alone defines English grammar. Unregulated or otherwise, language is not the model for a libertarian's dream of a regulation-free world. If correct grammar were completely beholden to individual usage, then English teachers, professors, writers, editors and proofreaders wouldn't be needed.

-----------

* (I hope it's apparent I'm kidding about a link to a list of regulators implying personal insult.)

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 09-01-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote