View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 03:42 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosbcg View Post
I don't what happens underneath exactly but from a user standpoint they don't have to do a thing other than click on the link or photo of the EPUB to start reading it under Monocle control.
But does it actually use the EPUB? Or is it already extracted and pre-chewed in the server? From the user's perspective it's just clicking on a link and enjoy, that's right, but I believe there's more work on the page creator/mantainer part than just adding EPUBs to a list.

[quote]I mean things can't be this seemingly difficult. EPUB is just XHTML underneat and every browser worth anything these days can read XHTML. Throw in some simple Javascript and voila...one should be able to have a cross browser, fully compatible, simple EPUB reader.[quote]

You are right, it shouldn't be that difficult, at least if you don't aim at supporting things like headers/footers.

Some time ago I wrote a quick-and-dirty script (for linux) that allowed me at least to test an EPUB in the browser and check formatting and TOC. If you can do some programming, maybe you can turn it into some server-side scripting code, or find someone who can.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote