View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by N13L5 View Post
I'd love to be able to read this MIT book on Scheme programming offline on my phone.

Its got a lot of pages on separate html pages, with "next" and "previous" links for navigation.

is it possible to pull down the whole book and save it to epub or chm?

Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs

regrettably, I'm not doing well with the recipes... I've tried to adapt exisiting recipes for other websites to no avail...

...maybe after I read it, I can make recipes too...

Doing just this (converting a website into ebook form) was my forte before joining Mobileread.com.

My best tool (HTTrack Website Copier) for this job is similar to what was done for the free NASA (web) ebooks posted in the thread multi-page HTML with images to ePub or LRF.

Basically, you need to point HTTrack to your website and download a local copy of it and then create a content.opf (manually or using Mobipocket Creator or Sigil), then create your desired ebook format using your favourite conversion software. Sigil unfortunately lost the internal "contents" and "index" links on each page (and probably elsewhere where the filename was referenced before the link) so I couldn't use it to finish the epub version.

I can save you the effort though since I spidered that ebook yesterday and produced various ebooks (.prc/.imp/.epub) from it that I will post in the Mobileread.com Uploads directory soon. I haven't read or proof-read it so it may have some minor issues. I'll post the link to the uploaded ebooks when done.

My only "hang-up" was getting the links to properly work in the .epub version after converting the .opf (local .html and images) using calibre and when using ADE. The .epub worked initially using the Firefox EPUBReader plugin (which is my main epub reader since I don't have a hardware capable epub reader just yet) but it's been a challenge to say the least when trying to preview the epub using ADE since links where not followed "fully".

BTW, I did try to use the calibre command line tool, web2dsk, but that produced malformed .xhtml files that I couldn't proceed with my conversion programs.

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-07-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: fixed original poster's link to this book
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote