Thread: Feeling Lost
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iprofs
I didn't know that the Sony Reader has no backlight. Therefore it would be no different than having a paperback and using the clip-on light!
Well, aside from the other features that make an electronic reader worthwhile (lots of content in a compact package, etc.), you're right. But then again some folks actually prefer the more paper-like display, and consider "no different than having a paperback" to be high praise indeed. It's a matter of priorities, and what works for each person, of course.

Welcome to MobileRead, iprofs.

I can see that you are in a genuine quandry, unfortunately, the answer to it is research. There are a number of readers discussed here (as well as other places), and the Wiki might help you wade through the info more easily.

Since you're interested in popular books, one way to narrow the list of devices you'd want to look at, is to look at some sites like Mobipocket, Fictionwise and eBooks (there are others, those are just off the top of my head). Go through what they have to see how the books you're interested in are available, that is, what sorts of devices will the offered formats work on. Once you do that, you can start eliminating devices based on the features you want. For example, if color is important to you, and there are enough to choose from that have color, eliminate the B&W ones, and so on. If you want some suggestions to consider, I'd offer battery type/life, display type/size, weight, internal memory, expansion media (memory cards) type & size limits, extra features that might matter to you like search, annotation. Stuff like that.

Once you get it down to 2 or 3 that look like they might be good candidates, then you can come back here and search those particular devices up and you'll have a lot less to wade through, and you can ask questions about particular devices (the ones that your search didn't answer already).

And of course you can do general web searches (google/yahoo/whatever) to find info in other places.

That ought to get you started.

Last edited by NatCh; 12-05-2006 at 11:51 AM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote