View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 06:06 AM   #23
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
What I don't get is the reluctance of publishers to make e books available. I get the deal about them being afraid of piracy and and all that but where is there a proven link between making books available in electronic form and piracy. Many books that are not legally available as e books can be had for free in pirated form. If I am determined to read a book on my e ink device I often will have to resort to a pirated copy. Personally I would rather not do this as I do think it is stealing so I just pass on the book.

Now I agree that stealing is stealing but lets be real here. Give a hungry man a slice of bread and then tell him that no other food is for sale and you lose at least the right to be outraged or even surprised when he steals what he needs. When publishers give away a bunch of free books that are the first of series and then tell you that the rest of the books are not for sale they can expect piracy to result.

What I am saying is that the slow roll out of e books is very likely contributing to piracy. It is the one thing that has tempted me to steal. The more e readers get out there and the more publishers think that they can use electronic versions of books to help sell p books the more piracy we will see. It is not the only reason of course but it sure tempts me and makes me see publishers as my enemies rather than my friends.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote