View Single Post
Old 07-22-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randeep
I think there could be some alternatives that bookstores might be comfortable with, like selling both as a package deal, an RFID chip in the spine of a regular book to give access to the digital one, etc. Of course as long as people continue to buy copies of both formats this will probably never happen.
There are countless alternatives, I'm sure. I'm sure, as well, that most, if not all, of the various online bookstores would be willing to experiment with many of those alternatives in order to maximize consumer interest. Unfortunately, there's a third party involved whose permission the bookstores would have to get before they could even attempt one of these alternatives. Can you guess who that third party is and what their answer will ultimately be?

Not that I disagree with you completely, but following the same logic... do you believe that when you buy the hardcover, you should be entitled to the paperback for next to nothing when it's released?

Value's a funny thing when it comes to digital vs physical books. I tend to place almost all the value in the words they contain, myself. But to each their own.