View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
jonj678
jonj678 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ping, ssh, nmap. Nothing seems to access my kindle (solved)

I've been trying to gain (reliable) ssh access to my Kindle for a few days now, and don't seem to be making progress. It is jailbroken, and usbnetwork is also installed. The latest versions listed on this site. I can very briefly connect over the usb cable, but the shell hangs after a few seconds and takes several attempts to resurrect it. I haven't found the iptables script yet, but I can't imagine it's blocking ping.

I'm trying to connect over wifi. I'm pretty certain I've got the right IP address, as my access point lists IP's next to mac addresses. authorized_keys exists on the kindle, and contains the correct data. I have tried every reasonable combination of settings in the config file.

ssh connections time out. ping declares the kindle unreachable. nmap thinks the kindle is down. My best guess is that I have a problem with the network, but it seems to be unique to the kindle. Two laptops and two desktops can quite happily ping each other, share files via samba or nfs, and ssh at will. I've tried on three wireless networks so far, but can probably find a forth if people think it'll help.

Any guesses where I go from here?
Cheers

edit: Thought I'd try turning off everything & resetting the router to factory defaults. I still can't ping the device, but I can ssh. Strange.

Last edited by jonj678; 06-04-2011 at 07:39 PM.
jonj678 is offline   Reply With Quote