Thread: Cover Design
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #20
Dusty Bottoms
Banned
Dusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipseDusty Bottoms can illuminate an eclipse

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
It's pretty neat once you get the hang of it. I'm still a bit overwhelmed by inkscape. I'm finding tutorials hard to come by. The ones that are out there seem to be above my head. I've tried. I just can't get the hang of it ... not yet at least. I'm finding GIMP much easier for the basic stuff that I'm doing. My Beyond the Black cover was made using fonts from dafont to serve as illustrations. That's where my city and silhouette came from. I wish I could do it by hand, but - well, not yet.

I still can't get my gradients as crisp as Dusty and most of my stuff seems to come out dirtier. And, as you can see from the Blue/Green BtB cover, they look rather - canned still.

Using Gradient overlays seems to do the trick for me a lot of the time, instead of gradient fills on a selection. Create a new layer, use the gradient fill tool on the toolbar as highlighted, and then play about with the blending modes.

Dusty Bottoms is offline   Reply With Quote