View Single Post
Old 08-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i appreciate that its a poorly coded book & that these lots I could do to improve it. but where this thread started was from observing that all but one reader app displayed 2 centred lines, and thus wanting to know why one did things differently.
that led to me wondering if there was an epub spec that defined what should happen, or if the app author could argue that the spec was ambiguous.

I posted the original book code here, but for my own reading copy I would run it through calibre & sigil and use remove unused styles to clean it up, as part of my standard workflow.

I cant explain why the original book CSS has the contradiction that you point out, but surely any decent app should make a decision & then render both header lines the same i.e. either center them both, or don't. centering one out of 2 is dust silly!

actually, I've often seem that combination of specifying margin(s) and specifying centered. I dont see a contradiction - margin tells me to not put text into certain screen areas, centred tells me to put the text in the middle of whatever space is allowed.

from reading other threads, it seems that others have experienced this bad rendering of multi-line chapter headers, so I don't thing the "bug" is specific to how theis one book is coded. I think it's due to how the developer of moon reader has chosen to selectively ignore some CSS. anyway the developer did eventually get back to me and asked for a copy of the book + a screen shot. I sent him the former & told him where to look!, as I did not want the hassle of having to take screenshots on tablet & them having to move them to the PC for attaching to an email reply. SO hopefully I'll get a response which I will pass on here.

I have a feeling that this app ( Moon + reader ) would mangle a simple verse of poetry that has been placed in a centered or indented div, with <br> to control the line breaks. I'm sure there are examples of that in my already-read fiction books but I can't immediately recall a title to go did out & I'm not quite motivated enough to build a test tile

I also suspect if of not honoring CSS margins for blockquote tags

Last edited by cybmole; 08-10-2014 at 05:43 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote