View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 12:38 PM   #8
jawadams
jawadams has a spectacular aura aboutjawadams has a spectacular aura aboutjawadams has a spectacular aura aboutjawadams has a spectacular aura aboutjawadams has a spectacular aura aboutjawadams has a spectacular aura aboutjawadams has a spectacular aura aboutjawadams has a spectacular aura aboutjawadams has a spectacular aura aboutjawadams has a spectacular aura aboutjawadams has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
On win7 (and possibly older versions)
start /b calibre-server (options follow)
will start the server with no cmd window at all. Other options can start it in a minimized cmd window

Edit: XP 64 has the start command, and it supports the /B switch
Hmm I tried this and it seemingly works (no errors) but the server doesn't start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
There are programs to hide open windows of running programs. I use HideIt. It can be configured to recognize window titles and autohide them.

There are programs that allow other programs to be run as a service. I haven't used them.

If you're willing to just minimize on start, there are tricks to do that, too.
Yeah I know how to have it minimize it but I really just want it in the background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Have it start as a planned task after system startup. Alternatively, create the calibre-server as a service.
I am trying to create the service, this is what I type at the command prompt:

sc create CalibreServer binPath="C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\calibre-server.exe"

Doesn't seem to work. It just shows me a list of options because I assume my syntax is incorrect. Any ideas?

EDIT: Managed to create the service using this syntax:
sc create CalibreServ binPath= "C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2\calibre-server.exe"

The only thing I was missing was a space.

But when I try to start the service it says "Error 1053: The Service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely manner"

Last edited by jawadams; 12-07-2010 at 12:46 PM.
jawadams is offline   Reply With Quote