Thread: Router sharing
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 05:30 AM   #28
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
So you're talking about issuing passwords so that only people you have chosen to grant access can get it? If so, why did you need to ask for any advice, since that process would be identical to what you did for your own access.

Because you seemed to be talking about allowing anonymous access to anyone within range.

Which is a completely different matter, and which makes you (and anyone else who does it) a bad neighbor, and a significant contributor to spam.

(For the record, I am an IT professional, and my job includes running several web and email servers. I review the access logs, and see daily attempts to compromise the servers, mostly by professional spammers. The record for an unpatched server being comporomised and used to send spam is less than 15 seconds after being connected to the internet.)
Yes, of course there is no password. And yes I am a an IT professional also and I know about the 15 seconds and I now how to install my computers. But what have that to do with anything?

And I really do not see how an open network contribute to spam.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote