View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 09:54 PM   #6
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Interesting discussion. First I thought, "yeah, Bob has a point here!" - but then I read Laurens' response and I couldn't help it but agree with him.
I guess I had better follow-up and explain myself a bit better!

I don't know if Palm plans to produce a LifeDrive so soon, but the topic I was addressing was simply whether or not the near availability of an 8 & 10gig drive would mean that a 6 gig model is unlikely from Palm. People have been arguing that it doesn't make sense to roll out a 6gig model if there are some 8/10gig drives coming soon. But I think it still makes sense for Palm to do a 6gig model.

My point is simply that the lower capacity model is likely to be a bargain relative to the premium on the newer high capacity drives so Palm is likely to look favorably on such a deal even if it's not the most recent drive technology, and that I think they have a history of waiting until the price/performance point is acceptable rather than jump on the newest technology just because it is available. Therefore, I think a 6gig model can't at all be ruled out. Especially with Albert's scoop from Hitachi itself!

As for the idea that it would also rule out a 4gig model if it's just a cost play, why not go all the way and eliminate storage on the device altogether? Of course that's not the point... it's not just about cost, it's about not paying the premium for the newest technology just because it's available. Especially when there's something that's a very close substitute that is a bargain.

I don't know what's going to happen, I'm just trying to clarify my logic. Having hopefully explained myself better, you can feel free to disagree with me now for all the right reasons instead of due to an incomplete explanation!