View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #43
BWinmill
Nameless Being

I've had mixed results with ebooks. For the most part, novels intended to be read on a specific device have been fine. Examples would be Kindle books bought from Amazon and Kobo books purchased from Kobo. The main exception are covers, where some publishers use an ugly placeholder instead of the real book cover (curse you Penguin).

Books that can be read on a variety of devices is another story. Sometimes it's understandable. Gutenberg titles downloaded from their site are a volunteer effort, and the Internet Archive doesn't have the funding to do large scale digitization without automation. In other cases, it seems to depend upon the reader software. I notice this a lot with ePubs that are signed out from the library (especially since I've used them on everything from my Kobo to various Android applications). I don't know if the issue is with the software or the ebooks themselves.

After attending a public talk of self publishing, I also suspect that independent authors have issues creating ebooks since their work is dependent upon conversion tools or a fair amount of knowledge of the file formats. Not that I blame authors for this. You shouldn't need much more knowledge than what it takes to write on a piece of paper to publish a book these days. The technology is there to make life easier after all.