View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
While I agree that copyright length is already WAY too long, and IS a problem, I disagree that they will be ABLE to "keep stringing out US copyright length" in the future. The last time it was extended was in 1998 when the internet was still in its infancy. I don't believe that will ever happen again. Look at what happened with CISPA and PIPA last year. Congress gets away with a LOT of crap, but when something comes up that strikes at the hearts of LOTS of internet users... enough people screaming about something can even set slimeball politicians back on their heels. I'm not saying it's impossible for them to extend copyrights any further, but it's going to be MUCH MUCH harder in the future than it was in the past!
We will need a constitutional amendment to fix this problem. Disney is bound and determined not to let Mickey Mouse go into to public domain. If you don't know, this is the reason copyright keeps getting extended. The constitution forbids a permanent copyright so it needs to be changed to protect Mickey. In England there are two items on permanent copyright (Peter Pan and the KJV original Bible) and we will need to do something similar to protect Mickey. At this time the US has already committed to a switch to life plus 70 so that will protect Mickey for a few more years.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 04-08-2013 at 08:26 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote