View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclough View Post
What software do you use to convert epubs to speech? I might try that, if it works for Linux (possibly under Wine).

Sounds like I might try that sometime, although I'm not really clear on the part about "it works great for non-fiction books, e.g. school books." Do you mean it's great for text/reference/how-to books? Or is it more for Literature text books, i.e., lots of short(er) stories? Or, do you read novels by going to the last chapter or scene first? Or, something else entirely?

Just looking for a little bit of clarification here.

For school text books, I was taught a method to study the chapter by first reading the outline, then read the study questions at the end of the chapter, then read the chapter looking for the answers to the specific questions.

For fiction books, if I can't stand to wade my way through the book, usually because it is very suspenseful or I can't figure out the who done it, I will go to the last chapter, skim it to see if the solution is there, usually not, then I go to the next to the last chapter, and repeat.

For your situation, I am suggesting to go to the end of each chapter, read whatever section looks promising. Like from a chapter break (the blank line or ***), or if there isn't one, a good indication is where the action paragraphs stop and the conversation paragraphs pick up. Read from there to where you had begun before, then skip back another section. That way you get the action, but it is enough of a puzzle to keep your mind active. When you think you have the jist of it, then you can read the entire chapter.

It might help for complex chapters.

AJ

I just thought, I probably amended this method from the speed reading course I took. Speed reading first is another suggestion.

Just re-read your questions. The TTS software I use was for Windows XP. It didn't work with Windows Vista so I did without for many years. But with my new Win7 it works again. I've tried tracking the company down, but it has a Chapter 11 Bankrupty statement on it's website. So no use there. I've researched other TTS's but haven't invested in any yet. Sorry.

Last edited by AJ Starr; 01-26-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: added TTS answer
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote