View Single Post
Old 10-07-2007, 10:33 AM   #55
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Archos 704 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by user View Post
how did you achieve the last photo here? it looks like scanned, is it an actual photo? its very OCRable
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=13
thanks
Yes, it is an actual photo of a test page, to show that nice final results are achievable. I cannot remember now whether I took the DayTungsten.jpg and cut the margins or did I took another shot with a zoom to get that part of the page in the frame without black borders. I may have used Picasa to automatically improve contrast and perhaps add some brightness.

All that has little to do with OCR. It is rather for my esthetic pleasure. Finereader recommends not too manipulate the images before OCR processing.

In my experience, the only case when some preprocessing helps to get better results in OCR is when the original images are so dark that it is difficult to see details. Picasa's automatic contrast does the job.

In Finereader processing I recommend to change the resolution of the picture to what it really is and not what some cameras provide wrongly in the picture info (like 96 dpi). I usually change the resolution of all pictures in batch to 280 dpi (Canon Powershot 1) or I look at the picture in the Finereader full screen Window and change the resolution in such a way as to get the view of the picture as wide as the window is. I cannot explain the theory behind the last approach but it looks that if I can see the picture well than the OCR processing is more happy.
ereszet is offline   Reply With Quote