View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #39
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Actually, you might just need that loan. I recently paid $10+ for an urban fantasy ebook. That's a ridiculous price and I can't afford to do that on a regular basis, much less buy two or more per week. And my library system is sorely lacking in regard to that genre in both print and ebook versions, so that is not an option. Folks who pirate don't always do so because they can pay but choose not to; they might be doing It because they can no longer pay the over-priced cost due to a change In their financial circumstances. Not everyone who retires, for example, is in the same financial place they were as when they were working - not everyone has investment income and paid-off homes or an income commensurate with the one they had when they were working. Yet the desire to read what they want is still there. Ditto folks who have been laid-off or who've become ill or disabled.

Avid readers are just people with a socially-sanctioned addiction. And they will feed that addiction no matter how their financial circumstances change, just like any addict.

I think that's the point that is consistently overlooked in all of these discussions.

Organizations (and writers) can try to demonize and attempt to criminalize uploaders and downloaders all they want, but as long as they keep coming at the issue from the wrong direction, they're never going to be able to effectively deal with their perceived problem.
The addiction analogy bears some thinking on. I've known many an addict in my time who will do anything for a fix, or a drink or even sex. Downloadin is less socially harmful than breaking and entering, stealing pension checks, or robbing convenience stores etc.

And yes there are people who cannot afford to pay for food, or shelter. When I was saying that nobody needs a bank loan, I was guilty of being too general. I was obliquely referring to most of the people who could actually afford to download.

I am an avid reader, and have been very down and out to the point of living on unflavoured pasta noodles for a considerable time. Luckily for me I could usually go to the library and find a book to read as I was not limited to one genre or type of book. I have also lived in several towns without libraries of any sort or stores that carried books and depended for the most part on the kindness of strangers for my reading material. I came through it in one piece for the most part.

I still think that most people who can afford the equipment to download can afford to buy a book or two if their need is that great. My parents were dirt poor and went into debt every Christmas which took them practically to next Christmas to buy presents which were more likely necessities such as underwear. But we still had books.

And how did the reading addicts survive before the widespread use of the internet? Did they break into libraries and bookstores hauling of all the books they could carry?

I sympathize with anyone who is an addict to the point of shaking and staying up all night throwing up, nightmares, Dts etc, even if they did it to themselves. And if this applies to anyone who cannot read books in a specific genre, then I sympathise with them. If it is a case of not having just what you want when you want it, I can sympathize with them too. I am eligible for retirement myself but continue to work to afford the toys that I want. Not all are within my means of course do I foolishly buy an occasional lottery ticket . I have many friends who are retired and are unable to work. I cannot think of any who think that their reduced circumstances are justification for pirating but maybe there are a few. For the most part those that must, live on their means, watch public TV, not cable, go to the library or used book stores, most do not go to the food bank even because they feel that they will be taking away from the truly needy. Different culture I guess.

Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 08-29-2013 at 09:37 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote