View Single Post
Old 01-12-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The real difference in power usage between devices tends not to be how much power the screen uses, but rather how much power they use when "asleep".

Eg, the Opus battery will last about a week with the device left in sleep mode, whereas the Kindle genuinely uses zero power when asleep - you can leave it sleeping for a month, and the battery level will be pretty much the same when you turn it back on as it was when it was put to sleep.
Ok, I give you that. It probably depends all on marketing strategies. Amazon advertises that a Kindle will last you 1, 2 or whatever many months - the catch is, they also mention that it is based on reading (only) 30 minutes a day. For whom are they making those ads? They are trying to sell the ereaders to people that normally don't read that much, never read recreational at home and try to kill some time waiting on the bus, driving the bus, waiting at the doctors office. Me personally, I would not care for a second if I had to plug my book in once a week - if that would make sure that I could read all I can handle during that week - e.g still be ok if I read a few hours every day. Example (and don't quote me, just hypothetically): Opus vs. Kindle: Opus will die after a week, no matter if you read or not (beeing on sleep the whole time) and Kindle will last a month (including the 30 min a day reading). Now within that week you might still get more reading time out of the Opus, b/c it will be able to handle 20 hours of reading if used within a week after charging (again don't quote me on the number just an example) whereas the Kindle can only handle 15 hours of reading time, because of its superior zero battery drain in sleep mode. So milage will vary - and your priorities. Do you want the reader you don't have to plug in for a month or the reader that has all the reading experience and features you might want.

Oh and HarryT, no offence, but I do not believe for a second that Kindles battery won't suffer after a month on sleep even if the device does not drain any. I am not aware of any battery type that won't lose charge if left laying around doing absolutely nothing - rechargables are even worse than alkalines from my own experience.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote