View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #357
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
I don't know, the data doesn't say, but thanks to another report we know that iOS is also more profitable for developers who choose to monetize their apps with ads.

The iPhone leads the smartphone OS pack with an average eCPM of $2.85. Though it is closely followed by Android devices (at $2.10). The rest of the mobile phone field is significantly behind.

[...]

The iPad in particular gets the highest effective cost per 1,000 impressions (eCPM) of all devices, which is $3.96.

[...]

Apple in Q3 accounted for 37% of all mobile ad impressions on its network, with Samsung (SSNLF.PK) the second-most popular at 24%, and the rest trailing some ways behind, Adfonic says. It will be interesting to see what happens in Q4. In its AdMetrics report, Adfonic notes that Apple increased its lead over Samsung by three percentage points without much impact from the iPhone 5, which only hit the market at the end of the period.

Source.

The facts above show that there is no economic argument in favour of developing for Android over iOS. The only salient argument I can think of from a business point of view is that there are so few high-quality Android apps that a very talented developer has a greater chance of distinguishing him or herself with a polished app on Android than on iOS.
So what does the eCPM show? It is (the how much the publisher earns per click)*(number of clicks)/(number of visitors)*1000.

For some reason I can't see the Adfonic's report from Q3, but in I can see the one from Q2, and if you look at the distribution based on platform (since you are trying to make the point of iOS vs Android it doesn't make sense to look at numbers by manufacturers) Android got more ad impressions 46% vs 34%. Even if the 3% increase that iOS got in Q3 came from Android and not the other platforms, it is still 43% vs 37%, so Android is still in ahead.

Last edited by Sil_liS; 12-04-2012 at 04:09 PM.