View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #14
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
#6 is one thing I am glad it does not have. I do not nor will ever like Hyphenation. It drives me batty. I find in most Reader software it never works correctly and in some books every line is hyphenated. If added it's needs to be optional.
I also hate hyphenation! I can understand it is useful in relatively narrow newspaper columns, but in an e-book hyphenation seems unnecessary and even ridiculous to me.

And I feel the author of the "10 things" lives still too much in the world of paper publishing, not e-book publishing. From my point of view, obligatory margins in an e-book would just be a big nuissance. Similarly, em spacing and full justification need to function differently in an e-book than in a p-book. With printing resolutions exceeding 300 dpi, kerning and variable font width, p-book spacing and justification can be absolutely perfect. On a screen 600 or 800 pixels wide it is not reasonable to expect perfect justification (not to mention processing power required for rendering such perfect pages).

I could perhaps agree with two of his points: floating objects and transparency. The former would require developing the Mobipocket format beyond the HTML-based logic, but would be welcome. Obviously, in HTML you can have floating objects, but they tend to misbehave if the viewer's screen resolution differs much from the designer's one. Just imagine what happens when the floating image, 700 pixels wide, needs to be surrounded by text on a 800-pixel screen
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote