View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
15.2 Firmware and Themes

I was wondering if having a certain theme on your PB360 (versus the default) could make a difference in the stability of firmware version 15.2.

Here's why I ask:

I am using 14.2 after trying version 15.2 (twice). Until yesterday, 14.2 hadn't crashed in 10 days.

I was reading a DRM'd epub book from the library. I was reading it on Adobe (of course). I have the Adobe CSS hack installed, but this particular book must have had different coding, because the fonts were what came with the book, not the ones I installed with the hack.

Anyway.

As I was reading, the same thing happened that happened with version 15.2. The Adobe reader crashed and I could NOT open it again from neither the main menu or from within the Digital Editions folder. I could still open FBreader and read other epubs, just not the Adobe program. This was even after doing several resets.

I remembered that I had just changed to the Cleanlook theme, just before the reader crashed. For a last-ditch attempt, I changed the theme to stamir360. Ta da! I could open my Adobe DRM'd epub book.

Just for the heck of it - I could not open the Adobe program with the Covers theme either ... but Sheeps works.

Now I'm wondering if it could be some of the themes and how their programming is. Maybe they aren't "calling" the PB360 programs correctly or something like that (I don't know anything about programming with the Pocketbooks).

So, now to the point...

1) Any of y'all experience the same type of "crash" that I've gotten - where you could not open the reader program you were just using?

2) If you are using 15.2, what theme (if any) are you using? Do you get crashes like I've described? Do you get crashes at all?

3) If you are getting crashes with 15.2, can you get right back to your book (and the same page ... or near it)?

If some themes aren't "playing nice" with 15.2, I am willing to dump them to have the improved features of the upgrade. I can live with crashes, so long as I can re-open my book. I just can't handle not being able to access the program without a hard reset (or, at best, plugging the PB360 in to my PC and hoping that a powered soft reset works...).

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Marilyn

P.S. Of course, if what I said is confusing, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification. Thanks.
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote