View Single Post
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
eimert
Connoisseur
eimert doesn't littereimert doesn't litter

Device: Dell Axim X50v
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
By "don't work", I assume they mean "don't work well". I've owned a couple of Tablet PCs. Handwriting recognition is something that has to work perfectly, or it isn't worth it. At first you think it does, you start to use it, and then things start to go "Point Blimfark", to borrow a phrase recently exposed here.

A few words are misinterpreted. Ah, no problem, I'll just "train" it a bit more. Then a bit more, then a bit more, before you release you're in a Cassini fractal of irreducible error, and that you've spent so much time on this that you are thoroughly behind the curve on all those supposed productivity gains, and that you can type faster, anyway.

Then there is the "lag" factor, which you can only accommodate by retraining your brain to accept a temporal delay in the action/reaction feedback loop.

They "don't work".
Oh, I don't know. I've got a tablet with Vista at work, now. Although, almost everybody is complaining about this OS - the included handwriting recognition is superb. Without any training, it recognized my terrible "spider crawlings" almost perfectly. Since I don't usually use handwriting, that "almost" didn't bother me. But, I was really surprised at the quality of recognition - it gave really a VERY low percentage of errors and you have no idea how terrible my handwriting looks (even to me - or should that be "to myself"?).
Usual disclaimers apply - not associated with MS just the usual unhappy customer ;-)

Cheers,
Klaus
eimert is offline   Reply With Quote