View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
When I download my books I get an icon of a blue book in my download folder. After I add a book to Calibre in the Calibre Library there are the same book icons. If I just want to backup the books as origionally downloaded can I just drag those icons into a jump drive?

To backup the metadata as well would I just drag the whole Calibre Library folder to my jump drive?

How about if I wanted to make a backup of my Calibre library but not include any of the books, just the empty listing for each?
Your download folder is just another folder, so moving the contents to a external drive to archive the 'original' is a solid plan.

Use care, if you copy the Calibre 'Library' folder, to not mix the two contents together (separate folders are OK).

I am not sure what advantage a Bookless library gains and there are disadvantages:
Calibre book folders have a assigned number that matches the Library internal index. No books, Now way to restore.
You may lose external covers.
If you manage to re-load the original, the converted format settings are gone.

Why not use the 'Catalog' (little arrow next to the Library Icon) to make a portable list of your library.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote