View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #57
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
I have been trying to get this to work and ever since the initial time, it has been downhill since. Something mysterious is intermittently blocking network access to my Kindle 3G over wifi. If I start a continuous ping to the kindle and then start it's wifi, I will soon get ping replies. But after about 20-30 seconds, the pings will time out. In that very brief 20-30 seconds window, I can ssh to port 22 and login. But once the pings timeout, my ssh connection is lost. It's not my local PC since it's the same behavior from another PC. My PCs are on wired connections and the kindle shows a wifi signal strength of 4/5 bars.

For giggles, I uninstall 0.24.N and it's the same result where my pings are blocked 20-30 seconds after turning on wifi. Could there possibly be some changes that the uninstall doesn't revert? IPtables changes?

If I keep waiting, every 5-10 minutes, the pings will respond for a few seconds and port 22 is accessible again. And the cycle repeats. Any idea what is going on? It's almost as if a kindle's firewall is starting up, dying, and respawning.

Literally, this is all I've done in my latest session:
  1. Install 0.25.N
  2. Mount to USB
  3. Edit usbnet/etc/config to set K3_WIFI=true and K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY=true
  4. Copy authorized_keys to /usbnet/etc/
  5. Unmount
  6. Turn on Wifi
  7. ;debugOn
  8. ~useNetwork
  9. ;debugOff
Is there some sort of log I can access to see what it's doing? I suppose I would need to get networking over USB working to view that. No other hacks are installed such as the screensaver or font hacks.

Thanks!
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote