View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I consider Deus Ex to be that bad and worse.

Having said that, I don't see most of the examples given as really being DEM. Lord of the Rings certainly isn't: Yes Frodo fails at the last and it's only through Gollum that the ring is destroyed but that isn't a DEM.

DEM is "God from the Machine" and refers to the classic Greek resolution of having a god come out of nowhere to resolve the story problem. That doesn't happen in LOTR or in A New Hope. The solutions grew organically out of the story.

A New Hope would have been DEM if Superman had flown in out of nowhere and picked off all the attacking TIE Fighters with his heat vision.

I think too many people these days conflate someone other than the protagonist resolving the issue with Deus Ex Machina. They don't have to be the same thing.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote