View Single Post
Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 AM   #13
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Tomorrow View Post
It's a very small step in the right direction, but the restrictions and licensing terms stink.

But it's still, if ever so over-trepidatious, treading new ground – and hats off for that to Amazon!

I've read many a marvellous fanfiction where I longed to pay the author for it. Many ones better and even more original, creative and entertaining than the "original work".

Ultimately, copyright law must evolve and create a way for fanfiction authors to make money without approval or censorship by the corporations and creators controlling the IP of the original. Some kind of compulsory mechanical licensing scheme. And the classical "I don't own any of this" disclaimer at the start of fanfiction chapters will just change to one stating that "this work is, while compulsorily licensed, in no way endorsed by the original IP owner and they cannot be held liable for it".
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Why? Let them have their own original ideas. They don't have some divine right to make money off someone else's work.

What I think we DO need is for copyright to EXPIRE in a reasonable time, like was originally intended, and THEN fanfic writers, and society as a whole, can profit from all of it!

ApK
I know many writers in several fandoms who are simply not interested in being published professionally, or being paid for their writing. Why is it so difficult to accept the idea that not everyone writes for a living, but for fun, as a hobby? Is it because writing is hard work? I paint. That too is hard work. Should I stop because of it? Should I leave academia to become a professional artist? No; I will continue to paint in spite of it being difficult and in spite of spending money on art supplies and not earning anything on it.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote