View Single Post
Old 06-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Dave W
Connoisseur
Dave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enoughDave W will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-600 & Nook ST w/glow light
Is B&N like Amazon?

I'm upset with B&N at the moment. I just discovered that, if I buy a book, even a free one, from the B&N ebook site, I can't transfer that book to my computer. I prefer to organize my books using Calibre. I can't do that unless I bought the book elsewhere, like Books on Board. I wrote to B&N about this and their answer claimed that it was the way DRM is handled, as if it isn't their fault. Sony is notorious for going overboard with digital rights and my Sony reader didn't have this problem. If I bought as paper and ink book from B&N, I could give that to a friend when I'm finished reading it, he could pass it on, and again until the book literally wore out. As far as I know, I can't do that with any ebook, regardless of the source. Hopefully, that day is coming.

It appears to me that, with B&N hiding the folder that stores purchases made from them, they are doing what Amazon has done with their proprietary Kindle format. Although, that is slowly disappearing. My response to B&N was that all my future ebook purchases will be made from another ebook vendor until B&N fixes their proprietary mindset and allows buyers of their ebooks to use whatever application they choose to manage their library.

Does anyone else feel as I do or am I just being ornery?

Dave W
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote