View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
So, I wondered about how, what, or how much it pertains to the plot and character development.
To be honest, much of what I've read by Piers Anthony (his autobiography, collections of short stories, a handful of his solo/co-written works, and Xanth) as well as what I've read about his other works from people who've tried them, indicates that he's always been kind of problematic when it came to depictions of fetishism, gender relations, and sexual consent issues, though he's gotten a lot less reined-in about in recent decades.

And much of what I did read seemed rather tangential or outright gratuitous to the actual plot/characterization going on around it (alternatively, sometimes the fetishism/weird gender relations/skeevy sexual consent issues were the driving core of the plot/character, especially with some of the short stories).

But anyway, the first book is free at all the Amazons so it wouldn't hurt to get it regardless.

Though I would very strongly advise reading it in full before spending money on the others if one is not already acquainted with Mr. Anthony's writing quirks because they do tend to be the kind of thing that elicits unhappy reactions if you don't already know going in what the stuff he puts in his stories can sometimes be like.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote