View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Jane12
Groupie
Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iDevices
Thanks all!

Didn't realize the Mac version of ebook-viewer was bundled inside the Calibre package. Because it's not a separate application, using the standard Mac method of file-associating (Get Info > Open With) only shows Calibre, not ebook-viewer inside Calibre. There might be a way to dig inside (with Terminal maybe?), but I don't know it. If anyone does, I'd be interested in learning.

But that's okay. Knowing how to find ebook-viewer allowed me to add it to my Dock.

For those interested in how this is done (in Mac OS 10.6):

1. Launch Calibre, go to Prefs > Advanced > Misc and install command line tools.

2. Go to Applications folder, find Calibre, then control-click on the Calibre icon and select "Show Package Contents."

3. Find ebook-viewer (Contents > MacOS > ebook-viewer)

4. Drag ebook-viewer icon to Dock (or make alias and put it on your desktop or whereever else you want it). Clicking on the ebook-viewer icon will open ebook-viewer all by itself, without Calibre.

Another option: after installing command line tools ...

a. Open Terminal (in your Applications > Utilities folder)

b. In the Terminal window, type "ebook-viewer"

c. ebook-viewer will open and an icon will appear in your Dock. Click and hold ebook-viewer icon until you get Options window, then click "Keep in Dock."

Calibre rocks!

Last edited by Jane12; 03-28-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Jane12 is offline   Reply With Quote