Thread: Google Play
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
Sorry, two threads down, this whole thing is explained and corrected. Don't bother reading my drivel...

I just bought a couple of their $0.25 specials and discovered that the "download" versions were samples only. The Google Play Books app provides the whole thing for offline reading on my tablet and phone, but I see no way to do the same on a PC. On a PC, you can only view the entire book in a browser.

I looked at the files on my tablet and discovered they look something like an "unzipped" epub, perhaps, but went no further. It might be possilbe to transfer the folders to a PC and do something with them, but I didn't try that.

Possibly a more normal buy would work fine, but given this problem and the availability of the same books at the same price elsewhere, I probably won't risk buying full-price books from Google.

PS: The first two "Google Play" 25 cent specials here in the states were "Fight Club" and "Kitchen Confidential". Today's isn't out yet. They seem to have a mid-morning Pacific time rollover to the new day's deals.

PPS: The special deals on music have no such limitations. I've bought both day's albums and they are normal non-DRMed mp3's that you can do with as you please.

Last edited by OakdaleMike; 03-09-2012 at 10:23 AM.
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote