View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #18
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibanes View Post
We should have an option then to "rescan (now) SD/MC using mount", that is, to (linux) mount the filesystem, then create the index (stored in a BDB file for instance, or just flat xml file) and then we would be able to rescan the card, bypassing this limitation, which is precisely what is probably causing me trouble right now.
I'm not sure I'm following you. The know problem is that Sony's SD card access is buggy (when working with non latin chars / many files), there is a solution for that. Reader not recognizing SD cards at all is something rather new, and not easily (if at all) fixable via software. (I rather suspect that you should try to format it "normal way")

Quote:
I think sony is using proprietary calls rather than the (linux) mount do avoid concurrency, that is, mounting the filesystem in two different threads.Because the filesystem isn't meant to be mounted twice at the same time (it would trash/corrupt its metadata, and likely the VFS cache), that's why they're using syscalls, where they can, in the kernel or kernel module, use mutex(es) or semaphores to prevent, per say, concurrency in writting the same file from two different threads or similar actions.
Nah. Internal Memory is mounted and the scanning process for IM/SD is exactly the same.

Quote:
Would this option require a lot of work: "rescan (now) SD/MC using mount"?
Assuming, this is done, it won't work, since just indexing stuff is not enough, the files mustb be there, when viewer want's to access 'em, which means leaving SD card mounted which would quickly drain batteries.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote