View Single Post
Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I'm in!

I need to find a good translation. I was hoping for Lattimore but I'm not sure if he did the Aeneid, so based on these posts, I'm first looking at Mandelbaum and Fagles.

ETA - Like the Odyssey and Iliad earlier this year, I've only read passages here and there from the Aeneid but never the entire thing, so I'm looking forward to it.
No, Lattimore didn't do the Aeneid, unfortunately. Like you, Lattimore is by far my favourite version of the Iliad and Odyssey.

For those who prefer a prose translation of the Aeneid, the Penguin Classics version by David West is perhaps the best, although personally I prefer the Fagles poetry version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote