View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbrII View Post
I experience both problems, books without covers and "ereader storage errors", but have not had problems with either lately.

Book covers - You need to do a conversion to make sure you your cover will transfer correctly. Just do a epub to epub conversion and your cover problem should go away. I like right and left margins so I always do a conversion changing the margings from 5 points to 20 points anyway.

"E-Reader Storage Errors" - Since I have taken the precaution of waiting a few seconds after each job is processed when downloading and then again after ejecting the device from calibre I have yet to experience another "e-reader storage error" message.

I have a couple of hundred books I manage through calibre and I would have a hard time getting along without it now. Although, I did have to go through an initial learning curve which I accomplished by reading posts on the calibre forum.

Nope not true, epubs have standards that means covers are formated a certain way. Some covers can be a little larger but eseentially they are the same. This is not true of mobi or lit where the format is different and yes you have to make sure of those settings you mention. What ever calibre does it screws things up on the touch. if the covers were not correct, they would not show up when you do a factory reset. You would still have blank covers. But the fact that once the touch is reset and that calbre has no contact with your touch tells me that something is wrong with calibre.

When you do a factory reset on the touch anything that was on the sd card remains. So if those books had no covers that were compatible with the touch then they would still be blanks. How ever they all show up, 100 percent there, and if i drag and drop a 10 books the covers show up consistantly. However once i allow calibre to communicate to the touch and use it to push the books to the device the covers stop showing up or like you u get a few covers but a lot of blanks. I can take those same 10 books and use calbire to push them over and those 10 books no longer have the covers. All my books are the same. I manage all my books meta data from calibre. All my covers show up correctly in other ebook software such as stanza or ibooks every time except when it comes to the touch. This logical progression shows us a trend that calibre is corrupting soemthing on the device. There is no other way to explain the issues here. And we all have the same thing in common "CALIBRE" . For whatever reason as soon as calibre starts to talk to the device it starts to corrupt things. Now Im curious about things and stubborn so yes I waste time to try dif things and one thing I know is if i use calbire all my books that I push over suddenly show up in the now reading, and have no covers... Which btw indicates that calbire is rewriting the data on the touch. But if I drag and drop my books they dont show up in the now reading list and my covers are always 100 percent there. IF calibre has communicated and dropped its files then no matter what how i push the books, The covers will not be there for the most part but on random occasions a cover will show. But if load say 100 books no covers show from calibre (remember the books are on the SD card not the main memory) and do a factory reset, which erases the main memory and restores it to factory, leaving the SD card alone. It will restore and prcoess the books on the sd card and all the covers show up perfectly. Now if I run calibre and allow it to communicate all my books that are pushed from calibre dont show covers, and on several occasions I have reproduced the Ereader storage error..

So now i tell calibre to save my books to a transfer file on my computer and I exit calibre making sure that the server is not running etc. Then I connect my touch and drop the books on to the storage card. Volia as soon as the touch processes the new books I search the author and add the title to my short list and verify the cover.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote