View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #75
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdek View Post
Yup: ......the books [were] already tagged prior to using Lists

Yup, so, that would explain it...........I assume.

My potential problem w/ this is that if I use my Kindle to add a book to the To Read List, list, then, as you say, this plugin will not detect this change. Is that true?
Yes, that's correct. Part of the issue, and the reason some plugins exist, is that the Kindle (most ereaders, actually) was never designed to get externally manipulated to any great degree. It was designed to mostly sync within its own ecosystem. Honestly, the fact that calibre and the plugins allow us to use our Kindles the way we do is nothing short of a miracle.

Because of this, anything changing on one or the other requires some sort of polling process to detect changes and compare them with the Library. Collections can do this with the collections.json file, which is how it can be used to manually edit collections on the Kindle, and also import collections from the Kindle to calibre. But there is a limit to how much of this can be done while still maintaining any degree of efficiency.

Now that I've bored you with that, I would recommend the old-fashioned manual method for getting your lists in sync with your tags - filter your books on the tags and add them to the appropriate list. Repeat as necessary.

This probably seems like a lot of work, and it can be, but my experience has been that once you get things in place, it soon starts to increase your efficiency. You might have to get out of the habit of manipulating your collections using the Kindle. I know, it's a trade off. Which is why only you can decide the point at which it is no longer efficient to use a given plugin for what you need to do. Since you've just recently made the move to manage the entire set with calibre, there will be some trial and error as you find what works best for you.

And I, and several others, are always here to help. Since some of the recent plugin changes are basically my fault, I'm happy to provide whatever support I can to any and all that run into issues. Feel free to PM me if you want to get into a detailed look at your workflow or work out the kinks in the process. I don't mind at all, and as an organizing maniac, I enjoy putting my obsession to good use.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote