View Single Post
Old 03-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #12
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reow View Post
You're all completely paranoid.

Sun is asking a legit question, and instead of answering (most likely because you don't know what the answer is) all you can do is attack him for being curious.

I feel books are a waste of time and never had any intention of using my Kindle as an eReader when I bought it - it was always intended as an ultra-cheap tablet. I have many of the same questions related to what is and isn't possible when hacking the Kindle. Posting this hate towards people like Sun is counter productive to the community.

And Amazon won't be getting $k bills for your data use (as they have a global agreement). I live in a backwater country and can get 10G 3G data for $50/mth, so I know Amazon will be getting theirs *much* cheaper than this (considering the volume they would be buying).
You revived two months old thread about trying to get free internet on the Kindle. I think it's obvious that people on this site are not willing to help with this. The reason why people are so "paranoid" (strong word, not true) is because the internet on the Kindle is purposely marketed by Amazon as a "experimental" feature, and is not explicitly listed in any ad. Therefore Amazon can easily take the internet browsing feature out if tons of people start abusing it. Regarding your question: anything is possible, but some things are better left alone. Also, welcome to the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karunaji View Post
Amazon is not going to discontinue the free 3G access to all customers just because some hackers in China are abusing this free service. And even if they do, it could lead to more transparent data transfer costs that could be beneficial to majority.

The "free" 3G while enjoyed by many, has undesirable externalities. One is that international users have to pay $2 surcharge per book. Also for publishers the charge is $0.15/MB which is very high and is a deal-breaker for comics publishers.

Personally I encourage such exploits because it will force companies to develop products that people want. I already wrote how "global" companies often are unaware how different other countries are, so we should be thankful that someone is reminding this. If customers want to use Kindle for tethering why not add this feature either through replaceable SIM card or competitive data tariffs.
You're giving companies too much credit. When has a company "changed" positively because of hacks to their system? See: Playstation (removing Linux and suing the hacker). What will happen when someone releases a "internet tethering" package is 1) Hundreds of people will use it. 2) Amazon finds out. 3) Amazon either bans the kindle, or takes the feature out.

Last edited by yifanlu; 03-29-2011 at 07:55 AM.