View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #68
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Scotty,

with all due respect, what gives you the right to insult me? I think I know very well what I "get" and what I "don't", and just because you have a very particular point of view doesn't mean that everyone else here has to agree with you.
I apologize if you feel "insulted" over my statement but I too didn't appreciate your spin on the DMCA take down from Amazon. Having you posting one thread celebrating the power of the public-domain created by copyright law and then reading your thread about using the same law to control distribution with what appears to be a rather sullen tone drove me to comment upon my observations.

But despite your ruffled feathers the irony of your two threads does seem to be escaping you.

Quote:
How do you know? Have you seen the notice? Have you seen our correspondence with their lawyer? Have you talked to Amazon?

They didn't make anything "extremely clear" in the DMCA notice; in fact, they didn't say anything about a Kindle PID.
You can keep claiming things are not clear if you wish but as I've been posting here: in all the ways that matter in terms of property and liberty being taken away from someone, it's very clear. Continuing to try and muddy the waters isn't helping anyone and could very possibly put people in legal peril.

If you wish to be part of the solution in "fixing" the copyright law then you now have a "golden ticket" to do so. You can hire lawyers and fight the DMCA take down notice on grounds the law is screwed and perhaps the Supreme Courts in the EU/US might agree with you.

That DMCA take down notice gives you that ability right now, even after complying with it, you can still use it to try and bring about change.

Quote:
There is a difference whether I would have a "highly negative" attitude towards you or whether I send you a DMCA notice through my lawyer.
Right, you're still not getting the irony of your position as a content "distributor" and inveighing against Amazon for exercising their rights. But it seems clear you understood my making the irony more approachable via my example to you.

One might expect a bit more grace when contacted by a fellow distributor to help them out though right? Would you appreciate a similar diatribe from Amazon if you DMCA'd them to take down one of your free editions being sold there?

Quote:
I didn't break any law.
Oh I quite agree, it's Igor's shoes I wouldn't want to be in right now. If he's truly living in Belgium these days they could get to him legally, if they chose to do so. I like Igor so I hope he's safe someplace like Russia.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote