View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
vans
Zealot
vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Elonix 621eb, Asus Transformer, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
What elcreative said.

However, if it's of any help, I have a Sony T1. A document that was originally set in 8pt Times I estimate is roughly around 26pt at the largest font size in 'Original'. If you open Word and set piece of text to that size, you'll get a rough idea. 8pt, BTW, is quite small - most books that use Times are set at 12-14pt, so the increase from this original size would be correspondingly larger. For comparison, 'large print' is defined as a minimum of 16pt, and most are 18pt, so the large font of my Sony is considerably larger than a normal large print book.

The Royal National Institute for the Blind did a comparison of various e-readers and reckoned the Sony (T1, I presume) went up to 36pt. You can download the comparison table from their website: http://www.rnib.org.uk/livingwithsig...nts/Comparison of ebook reader features.doc

It might be worth (assuming your relative is housebound and can't see these for themselves) if you were to see what letters they can read on a size chart (there's one here: http://www.printingforless.com/Color...ign-Guide.html), and then compare the fonts on various readers against that size chart so you get an idea of what ones might be useful.
Thanks that is really helpful (but the link did not work).

She has looked at the largest font on the 505 and it is a little small for her. She did read successfully from an Ipad. From that test I feel she could read a font that is "the next size up" (I know that is vague) from the largest 505 font.

I did your 26pt Word test. I think she will be able to read that size. I have printed out a couple of sheets of A4 in 26pt and will take it round to her to see if she can read it.

I am wondering if she will be able to read the menu on the T1. Is the font large, even better does it display large images of the front covers?

Last edited by vans; 09-26-2012 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Question about the menu
vans is offline   Reply With Quote