View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
remote controlled paperwhite (video)

So, I am very lazy, ever since my k3 I wanted to have something that let me change the pages without having to touch the device.

Then I got a paperwhite, and even more so I would rather have a way to turn the pages remotely, I do not like having to touch the screen each time I want to turn a page. My hands feel more comfortable not having to be attached to the screen/device on which I read. When I am reading I just want to lay down, or sit in a comfortable position, anyway, so I made an application for my android device, to send ssh commands to the kindle.

This lets me turn the pages remotely, but still it is not as ergonomic as I would like, so, I connect a bluetooth controller - http://www.zeemote.com/js1/ - (although any bluetooth gamepad would work, ps3 or wii controller etc)

Using this means that my kindle and the android phone have to be using wifi, and on the same network. It also means bluetooth has to be on on the cell phone. I tried making a wifi hotspot*** (since maybe you are in a field without a real wifi network to connect to) with my cell phone (without any mobile data connection) and I connected to it via my kindle, and it did work, although it was not perfect, it cut out a lot... I assume android has some power saving stuff that is does when not much is happening on the connection, I could probably fix up the application I made to work better with it.

Anyhow, for my needs, it is great, and if anyone would want the java source code, or simply the .apk then I will happily share.

thanks to the people on the dev irc, and especially twobob for helping me out with the setting the kindle up for ssh, and the page turning stuff with xdotool, and being patient etc

here is a video of it in action:
http://tinypic.com/r/2vuj9e0/5

***and in this case, a file named WIFI_NO_NET_PROBE needs to be placed on the kindle, so that you are allowed to connect to a wifi that does not have an internet connection
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote