View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #30
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
For those on the fence, please look at the results from November. They have been the most spread out, most even results we've ever had. There was no actual runaway. It was close. It was fair. Nobody voted based on book xyz has 5 more votes then the one I wanted so I'll vote for xyz instead of what I wanted. People voted for what they wanted. It came out to be a very interesting vote. The results (IMHO) were a lot more interesting then seeing them as we go along.
Looking at the November vote what is see is 12 votes for A Canticle For Leibowitz and 59 votes for something else (including 11 votes for Hyperion). If we really wanted the book most people would want as a first choice to achieve this with the current polling software limitation the procedure would be a preliminary vote as is done now (open or closed) and then a head-to-head contest between the top two in the first poll. If a single poll is retained then an open poll at least allows people some means to express their second choice when apparent that their first choice has no chance of being selected; particularly useful when the contest comes down to second choice versus highly undesirable choice.

Note that this says nothing about my opinion for the November selection. It being Sci-Fi I didn't really care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I hope that, if their votes will make a difference, that those who have voted for all open voting will get their votes changed to the compromise category. Half a loaf, etc.
I would agree. In fact “Each month, we should alternate between Hidden and Viewable” and “All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Viewable” should be combined in comparison to “All Book Club Polls in 2012 should be Hidden”